How can you stay healthy at work? Just choose the best adjustable desk in Canada for optimum comfort, health, and productivity. As you explore ways to make your desk work better for you, you’ll find an adjustable desk that suits your needs. But how do you know which one is right for you?
There are many reasons to invest in an adjustable or height-adjustable desk. The various options can make it hard to find the one that’s right for your needs. In reality, our bodies aren’t meant to work at a desk all day. To stay healthy, our bodies need to move and not be stationary for hours on end. Consequently, sitting for a prolonged period of time is terrible for our posture and can cause injury or damage to the neck, shoulders, and spine.
As desk workers, we must incorporate movement into our workdays to ensure that we minimize the potential for desk work-related pain or injury. When we stand, the pressure on the intervertebral discs of the lower back decreases. Additionally, standing uses approximately 20% more energy than sitting down.
Alternating between sitting and standing will help prevent illness, and it will allow you to keep your body strong and healthy. Moving regularly throughout the workday adjusts the pressure put on the body – joints and spine – as it stimulates circulation and muscles, thus reducing potential adverse risk factors. It’s also essential for your mental well-being.
Even for those who may believe they sit comfortably, in a healthy ergonomic posture, the potential for health risk increases. When you are sitting, you must ensure that your posture is good, as in your shoulders are relaxed, and you are looking straight forward. By correcting your posture when sitting, you can reduce the risk of muscle strain and improve the overall health of your spine. Of course, by getting an adjustable desk, you can correct all these problems and so many more.
An adjustable desk promotes movement throughout the day, which helps prevent strain, injury, and other health concerns that result from excessive sitting. The more effortless the transition between sitting and standing is, the better.
An Adjustable Desk Is a Healthy Way to Work
If you’re looking for an adjustable desk in Canada, you are likely already aware of the many health benefits:
- Helps reduce back pain: backaches and back pain are among the most common complaints of desk workers. Fortunately, various studies show that employees feel relief from their discomfort when using a standing or adjustable desk.
- Increase mental alertness and productivity: a great majority of office workers who use an adjustable desk report an increase in productivity and concentration, as well as enhanced alertness. Some also claim to feel more awake, refreshed, active, energetic, and limber when working while standing.
- Enhanced well-being: workers who use a height-adjustable desk can feel less tired and stressed than their seated counterparts. Indeed, some people’s depression and anxiety can worsen when continuously sitting while working.
- Prevents weight gain: sitting all day while working is said to burn approximately 60 to 102 calories per hour, depending on your weight. Standing, however, can burn up to ten additional calories. You might think this number is quite small. However, the difference can be pretty significant over time.
- Reduces blood sugar levels and risk of cardiovascular issues: when you sit for long periods of time, your blood doesn’t circulate as well, which is harmful to many parts of your body. The most noticeable being that your hands and feet might get cold. By standing while working, you can move your legs more easily to increase blood flow. Cold extremities will be a thing of the past. If you sit for many hours every day, you are more likely to suffer various severe health issues. Your blood sugar can also increase if, right after meals, you sit while working. When you sit immediately after eating, your body cannot regulate your blood sugar levels as it should.
How to Choose the Best Adjustable Desk in Canada
The desk you choose must adjust fully from sitting to standing. The transition should be easy and quick for optimum comfort, flexibility, and efficiency. When you can easily alternate between sitting and standing throughout the day, you maximize your well-being and productivity.
A vital adjustable desk component is the adjustment function. Choose a mechanical or electric mechanism to accommodate your height and posture more effectively and comfortably.
You’ll also want to consider elements such as desktop thickness, width, and depth. Make your decision by keeping in mind your comfort as well as the space available to you. You should also consider anything that might affect the desk’s height, such as the thickness of your floor coverings and your footwear.
Your adjustable workstation should be flexible enough to meet the demands of your job. For instance, if you mostly work at a computer, you may prefer one height; if you deal with many documents and paperwork, another might be more comfortable; reading and writing, yet another. No matter what your work life looks like, know that an adjustable desk will suit your many needs. Moreover, if more than one person uses the desk, adjustability is essential.
The health consequences of sedentary behaviour are well known and devastating. People who spend most of their days sitting have a higher risk of developing cancer, cardiovascular disease, type II diabetes, and premature death. Of course, since the work done in offices today requires people to sit, hunched over their laptops or PCs, the shift hasn’t been easy.
If you’re looking for a quality, comfortable, and affordable adjustable desk in Canada, you’ll find several beautiful designs to choose from. Adjustable desks offer agility to any office, including a home office. Enjoy enhanced focus, increased productivity, and simply greater comfort throughout your workday.
Question or Comments