If you’ve spent a few years working in an office and sitting at a desk, you know how painful it can be.
Pain can occur in different parts of the body. Thus, it is not uncommon to experience stiffness in the neck, shoulders or arms and – of course – significant pain in the back.
To avoid this kind of discomfort, it is necessary to modify your posture when sitting down.
Let’s start with four tips to help you limit back pain if your job entails sitting for long periods of time.
1) Do not bend your back: avoid leaning onto your desk or slouching forward in the office chair. It is particularly difficult when working at a computer but a suitable chair can solve the problem if your back is properly pressed against the back of the chair.
2) Your elbows must be at a 90-degree angle when you sit. If this is not the case, you need to adjust the height of your chair or your desk.
3) Your head must be straight: your eyes must be at the same level as the top of your computer screen for optimal posture and comfort. You will need to adjust the height of your screen (or your chair).
4) Sit comfortably at the bottom of your chair: the back of the chair must perfectly fit your body at the level of the buttocks and lower back.
With these few recommendations, you should already feel a little better. But if you want to see a rapid and radical change in your condition, you should consider using furniture best suited to your work.
If you want to put an end to the pain, you must think about changing your office furniture.
The most important is to try to spend more time in a standing position.
Indeed, many studies have shown that sitting for long periods of time was harmful to the health.
Given that we spend a lot of time at work and that we cannot always exercise many hours a week, it is necessary to incorporate movement into our work routine
The simplest is therefore to work in a standing position. This allows to use and strengthen your legs, your back, and your abdominal muscles. Finally, thanks to this system, your body will consume more energy and will gradually become fitter and more muscular.
To know more about this product: Elevating desk, model 65868-17
1) Use a height-adjustable desk
This sit/stand desk allows you to work both seated and standing up. With a lifting system, you can adjust the height of the table so that it exactly matches the best height for you.
When you need to concentrate or perform detailed work, you can drop the table and use a chair. If on the other hand you work at a task that requires less attention, you can raise the table and work standing.
The objective is to adapt the office furniture to your health. Working in a standing position will strengthen your body (both the muscular and the cardiovascular systems), allowing you to be healthier and to work more efficiently.
2) Use a high table with a height-adjustable chair
Just like the adjustable tables and desks, it is possible to purchase a chair that can be height-adjustable.
In this case, the office furniture includes:
It is therefore not necessary to adjust the height of the desk but to have a chair on which you can sit if you are tired after working in a standing position for a period of time.
The use of special equipment may seem like a radical choice. But you also have to think about all the time you will waste going to the doctor and the inappropriate sick leaves and health problems that you will experience if you don’t take care of your body!
In view of all these benefits, it becomes very interesting to use innovative office furniture which finally offers a simple solution to a sore back and other pain related to sedentary lifestyle.